Thursday, September 24, 2009

Undone by Brooke Taylor


Title: Undone
Author: Brooke Taylor
Publisher: Walker & Company
Publication Date: July 22, 2008
Format: Hardcover, 320 pages
Age Group: Young Adult

Recently I have been in a bit of a reading slump. I was reading books that I thought I would really enjoy and ending up a little disappointed in them. For the most part, they were good books but they just didn't grab me the way that I thought they would. Undone by Brooke Taylor certainly broke out of that slump.

Something happened to Kori during the summer before eighth grade and she changes from perky cheerleader to dark daredevil. So when she tells Serena that they are more alike than Serena realizes, Serena doesn't know what she means. The unlikely friendship between the girls turns into an unbreakable bond. Unbreakable until Kori is killed in a car accident and Serena must find a way to go on living without her best friend. A school assignment leaves Serena with a list of things that Kori wanted to do and Serena vows to complete this list even though she doesn't understand what is on it.

Although I have read some reviews that felt Undone was a bit predictable, I was completely taken in by the story. I wanted to know what happened to Kori that caused her to change so dramatically and understand why Serena went along with her friend's crazy ideas. Kori and Serena were both highly emotional characters and Taylor did a great job bringing those emotions off the page. I could feel the depth of Serena's loss and how utterly lost she was in her own life without Kori to ground her. All of the secrets which are revealed in the book are highly emotional as well and reveal a lot about the characters' interactions with each other and their own behaviors.

I think this is a great book for older teens as there are many references to sex and drug use, as well as some foul language. Normally these are things that would turn me off to a book but they all fit into this story of rebellious (and hurting) teens. I don't think the book would have the same impact without these elements.

1 comment:

  1. sounds like such a great book! good review!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please share your thoughts with me :-)